Low Interest Credit Cards from Our Partners
Editors Rating: 4.5/5
Great low interest credit cards whose low rates don't just expire after an introductory period - although some do offer 0% APR promotions that make them especially sweet
These low interest credit cards for 2014 have a low ongoing (standard) interest rates, not taking into consideration any introductory rate offers.
You probably receive a large number of credit card offers advertising low ongoing interest or 0% introductory APR. So when it comes time to choose the best credit card, deciding can be tough. Low interest credit cards are a great choice in many ways, especially if you plan to carry over a balance from month to month or if you are trying to manage credit card debt.
Low interest credit cards charge you less on balances that are carried over. They generally offer fewer rewards than high interest credit cards; the trade-off is the money you save over time. If you have accumulated credit card debt on a card with higher interest, it is beneficial to transfer your balance to a low interest card. This can help you pay off the debt quicker and improve your credit score.
Some low interest cards assign an interest rate based off your credit score and credit card application. Other cards require excellent credit to be approved. If you have excellent credit and do not want a lot of extra rewards on purchases, these cards can reward you with a significantly lower interest rate and result in much less interest paid when a balance is carried over.
Understanding the Low Interest Credit Card
Credit cards charge different interest rates or annual percentage rates (APRs) for different types of purchases. Before you apply for a credit card, check the interest charged for purchases, cash advances, balance transfers, and late payments. Look at how you plan to use your card.
Do you want to get cash advances or do you have a balance that you want to transfer? There are many low interest credit cards available to match. There are some credit card deals that offer 0% interest on a balance transfer for an introductory period. This means that you'll only pay interest on new activity with the new card until the introductory period is over. Others offer low APRs on purchase, but high rates on cash advances. If you plan to only make purchases then this is an ideal card.
It is also important to find out the type of APR. It may be fixed, variable, introductory, or delayed. A fixed APR means that your rates will not change in the near future. A variable APR will change periodically. The credit card application will list what the variable rate is tied to, for example the federal interest rate. Introductory APRs are just that, they are in place during the introductory period then increase after that period is up. Delayed APR is similar to introductory, with a specified point in the future the APR will change, for example no interest until February. A fixed APR is the best way to manage your payments, because the future interest can be predicted more accurately.
How to Pick the Best Credit Card for You
Figure out how you want to use the card. Do you want to make purchases, get cash advances, transfer balances, or a combination of these? You can get a deal with an introductory or delayed offer that suits your needs, but make sure that the other APRs match how you plan to use the card. Lastly, most low interest credit cards do not have an annual fee, but check this before you begin your credit card applications. Go forth and apply knowledgeably!
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months--then a variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%. A 3% fee applies to each transferred balance.
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months. Then the variable purchase APR applies, currently 10.99% - 22.99%.
- Over 5,000 cardmembers rated 4.8 out of 5 stars* and now Discover "Ranked Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Credit Card Companies in a Tie" by J.D. Power*.
- 5% cash back for online shopping and department store purchases on up to $1,500 - Oct. through Dec. 2014 when you sign up*. 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Free FICO® Credit Score online and on monthly statements*.
- No annual fee, no late fee for your first late payment - APR won't go up for paying late, no overlimit fee and no foreign transaction fee*.
- Each Discover purchase is monitored. If it's unusual, you're alerted by e-mail, phone or text-and never responsible for unauthorized Discover card purchases.
- *+See rates, rewards, free FICO® Credit Score terms and other info by clicking "Apply."
- Created for those with Excellent Credit and approval is based on your credit rating and application review.
- Low 7.25% variable standard purchase APR and platinum benefits
- No balance transfer fee for balances transferred in response to this online offer
- No Annual Fee
- No Balance Transfer Fees - start saving immediately!
- A low 8% variable APR on balance transfers and purchases
- No Annual Fees
- Choose your card benefits and features
- Get rewarded through the new Giveback™ program, where Barclaycard Ring members get money back for good performance
- Get exclusive access to our online community and vote on the card features you like and view the financials of the Barclaycard Ring MasterCard online
- Learn more about personal finance from Barclaycard and other members
- Complimentary FICO® Scores as a benefit to active cardmembers. Opt-in to have instant and convenient access to FICO® Scores from your Barclaycard online account.
- 20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account
- Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
- Earn 1 point on all other purchases
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- 4.99% APR promotional balance transfer rate for 48 Months on Balance Transfers made between October 01, 2014 through October 31, 2014. After that, the APR for the unpaid balance and any new balance transfers will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate, and is currently 9.99%. A 3% balance transfer fee applies to each transfer. This transaction is subject to credit approval.
- Chip Enabled for Added Security
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fee
- No balance transfer fee
- No late fee
- No penalty APR
- APR for Purchases - 7.49% introductory APR for 36 months. After that, your APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate, and is currently 9.99%.
- APR for Cash Advances - 9.99%. Your APR will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate.
- APR for Balance Transfers - 4.99% promotional rate for 48 Months on transfers made from October 01, 2014 through October 31, 2014 with no balance transfer fee. After that, the APR for the unpaid balance and any new balance transfers will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate, and is currently 9.99%. This transaction is subject to credit approval.
- Chip Enabled for Added Security
Other Low Ongoing Interest Cards to Consider
Please let us know your favorite
"As comprehensive a list as you'll find of all the credit card offers on the table now."