Best Gas Credit Cards from Our Partners
Editors Rating: 4.5/5
Take advantage of these special deals on gas rebate credit cards
The credit cards below allow you to earn rebates every time you purchase gas, plus other cash back rewards. With the high price of gas, these gas credit cards of 2014 can really make an impact if you drive a significant amount. Many of these offers are available for a limited time, so now is the time to take advantage.
Find out how to make gas credit cards work to your advantage, and what to watch out for.
Savvy travelers know that travel credit cards can provide them with valuable rewards or cash back. According to one recent AAA survey, 76 percent of consumers using credit cards to pay for travel planned to use a card that carried some form of reward for travel-related purchases.
Gas credit cards can be an excellent choice if you are planning on traveling by car, and can also help you reduce the cost of your normal commutes and errands around your neighborhood.
Still, not all gas credit cards are the same. To find the best gas credit card deals, you need to know the key features of these cards, and how to compare them.
Key features of gas credit cards
Here are some of the key features specific to gas credit cards:
- Rebate on gas purchases. Gas credit cards frequently rebate a percentage of money spent on gas purchases at eligible stations, though there may be purchase minimums you have to meet.
- Procedures for claiming rebates. Rebates don't just appear in your account. Read the fine print to see what hoops you'll have to jump through to claim your rebates - and decide whether you are likely to follow through on those procedures.
- Gasoline brand limitations. Some gas rewards credit cards are affiliated with particular brands of gasoline. If you choose a branded gas card, you need to look into how widely available those stations are in your area. Also, consider whether the price of gas at those stations is competitive - there's no point in paying 7 percent more for gas just to get a 5-percent rebate on those purchases.
More key features of gas credit cards
The following features are typical of most credit cards, including gas credit cards:
- Interest rate. The annual percentage rate on new purchases is especially important if you often carry a credit card balance over from one month to the next. The rate on balance transfers would also matter if you are planning on transferring over debt from an existing card.
- Special offers. Any special offers, including rewards on other purchases, should be considered, but more as a tie-breaker than as a central decision factor.
- Annual fees. There are many cards available with no annual fees, but check to make sure about fees before signing up.
Making gas credit card offers work for you
Assuming you focus on gas rewards cards affiliated with stations that are readily available in your area, and the procedures for claiming rebates on those cards are reasonable, there are two ways you can assess gas credit card deals, depending on how you tend to use your credit cards:
- If you often carry a balance on your credit cards, subtract the rebate percentage from the card's interest rate, and look for the card whose end result is the lowest rate credit card.
- If you generally pay your balance off in full every month, lean towards the card with the highest rebate percentage.
In either case, if there is an annual fee, you will want to figure out what that fee represents as a percentage of your probable gas purchases, and reduce the rebate amount in your calculations by this figure.
Choose before you fill out your credit card application
While doing this analysis takes a few steps, it is better to take the time to go through this before you start sending out credit card applications, since merely applying for credit can affect your credit score.
By doing your homework upfront, you can make gas credit cards pay off - mile after mile.
- No annual fee
- Earn 2 points per $1 on gas, grocery, and utility purchases and 1 point per $1 everywhere else
- Use the points you earn like cash to pay for almost any purchases you've made.
- No blackout date, no redemption fees, no limit on the points you can earn and no complicated set up.
- Reports to all 3 major credit bureaus monthly providing you the opportunity to rebuild your credit score
- Complimentary FICO® Scores as a benefit to active card members. Opt-in to have instant and convenient access to FICO® Scores from your Barclaycard online account.
- Get Pre-Qualified for a Platinum Visa credit card
- Get an opportunity for a credit line increase automatically after you make your first six monthly payments on time
- Earn unlimited 1% on gas purchases with this card
- Email or text alerts to remind you when your payment is due
- Keep an eye on your credit information with free online monthly credit score tracking
- Pick your payment due date to fit your schedule
- Zero fraud liability protects you from unauthorized charges
Other Gas Credit Cards to Consider
Please let us know your favorite
"As comprehensive a list as you'll find of all the credit card offers on the table now."